Meet Meredith Cancilla, Design Director + Owner, Quixotic Design Co.
Tell us about your design agency.
We’re a small, remote design agency based in Sacramento, CA with an emphasis in brand, package and web design. Our design team shares a common love for progressive design and pushing the envelope. Together, we develop our clients’ businesses into memorable, stylized brands with custom logo, package and web design solutions.
What has been your favorite project so far?
We’ve had the honor of working with so many wonderful clients, but if I had to pick a favorite project, it’d be our re-brand with societygal. We worked closely with owner, Jennifer, to create a tailored brand identity that embodies the feminine, collaborative and approachable energy of the societygal community. The best part about the project? Creating TONS of fun brand marks (essentially doodling for days) for the client’s instagram.
Where do you go for design inspiration?
What trends in graphic design do you see coming this Fall/Winter?
1. Strong typography - repeating type, heavily-weighted typefaces, block letters
2. Visual distortion - design that plays with visual perception (i.e. movement in type, stretched letters, fluid-like logos)
3. Vivid color use - while we love a good neutral palette, bold, bright colors are resurfacing as brand staples.
4. Custom illustrations - businesses are now working with designers and illustrators to create a brand story through digital drawings that perhaps can deliver more meaning than text only.
5. New retro - 80’s and 90’s styles are saturating the design world as we see more and more neon, bright geometric shapes and repeating patterns, digital-looking typefaces and polaroid images.
What does Support Your Local Girl Gang mean to you?
To me, support your local girl gang means making work with women-owned businesses a priority (especially since these account for only approx. 36% of all businesses). We created brands for 16 women-owned small business this last year - and plan to work with even more in 2020. Aside from our projects, we receive a TON of emails asking for career advice in the design field. We openly share resources, portfolio necessities, and resume audits. I can remember starting out and getting help from an amazing mentor that shaped my path and encouraged me to get to where I am today. We are nothing without the support of one another!
Work with us: https://www.quixoticdesignco.
Pinterest: Quixotic Design Co.
Facebook: Quixotic Design Co.
Meredith Cancilla, Design Director + Owner, Quixotic Design Co.